100,000 Sports-Related Eye Injuries Happen Every Year
This month we’re focusing on sports eye safety and how you can keep yourself (and your family) safe from eye injuries.
About 100,000 sports-related eye injuries happen every year and every 13 minutes an emergency room in the U.S. treats a sports-related eye injury. Most eye injuries occurring in school-aged children are sports-related. These injuries occur most frequently in baseball, basketball and racquet sports.
The good news is that 90% of serious eye injuries are preventable.
Here’s what you can do to protect your eyes.
- Wear protective eyewear with polycarbonate lenses for sports such as basketball, soccer, field hockey and racquet sports.
- Choose eye protection that has been tested to meet ASTM standards or pass the CSA racquet sports standard.
- Remember that eye glasses are NOT sufficient protection. Consider the risk of flying debris or other objects during activities and wear appropriate eye protection.
- Protective eyewear should be sport-specific and sit comfortably on the face.
- If you wear contact lenses or eyeglasses, always have a back-up form of vision correction during activities where you could lose or shatter a lens.
Our optical staff is trained to help you select protective eyewear (prescription and non-prescription) for all of your sporting needs. We carry Liberty Sports, WileyX, Nike, Oakley, Harley Davidson and other brands to fit your active lifestyle!